Finance, Strategy, and Policy Advisor
2004 - PRESENT
Cogent Strategy Limited (Freelance)
- Created a proprietary radio-spectrum valuation model and an integrated auction simulation, tracking, and decision-support toolkit underpinning $3.5 billion in spectrum investments across 31 spectrum auctions, awards, and trades in 19 countries.
- Advised on multibillion-dollar asset-sharing deals between mobile operators in Asian and Western European markets—building common financial and operational models, using mutually confidential data, and facilitating negotiations on a clean-team basis.
- Built the financial model and investment case, supporting a $3 million Series A raise for PoLTE Inc and enabling the development and commercialization of its high-precision indoor and outdoor positioning technology for low-cost asset trackers.
- Developed the financial model underpinning the raise of $200 million in equity plus a $350 million warehouse-debt facility for a startup structured aircraft leasing fund.
- Guided the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission on potential auction receipts from the award of digital dividend spectrum to mobile operators in Nigeria and on the scope to use auction proceeds to fund the analog-digital TV switchover.
- Valued mobile licenses in Iraq and advised Ooredoo on auction bid strategy during the 2007 license award; valued Ooredoo's and its rivals' existing mobile assets in Iraq and assessed strategic M&A options in the event of failure to secure a license.
- Led the commercial due diligence and investment appraisal for a prospective acquisition of Meditel, the second mobile network operator in Morocco.
- Advocated for merger control on behalf of a Latin American mobile operator—drafting an expert report and making the case, supported by cross-country research, that consolidation would promote sector sustainability and improve retail market outcomes.
- Advocated for reduced annual spectrum license fees in the UAE, generating $210 million in savings for mobile operator 'du'; challenged the regulator's spectrum-price benchmarking exercise and invoked wider public interest considerations.
- Led a multidisciplinary team of specialists to develop MTN's market-entry strategy and its market-size/revenue forecasts for license valuation and produce the bid books supporting its bids for the second and third mobile licenses in Saudi Arabia.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Financial Modeling, Asset Valuation, Corporate Finance, Business Planning, Negotiation, Market Entry, Strategy, Public Policy, Special Assets, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Forecasting, P&L Forecasting, Balance Sheets, Cash Flow, Cash Flow Modeling, Cash Flow Analysis, Market Sizing, Market Sector, Fundraising, Seed Fundraising, Cost of Capital, Capital Raising, Return on Invested Capital (ROIC), Economics, Digital Economy, Game Theory, Simulations, Simulations & Wargames, Cash Flow Forecasting, Revenue Analysis, Comparable Company Analysis, DCF Valuation, Discounted Cash Flow (DCF), Benchmarking, Financial Benchmarking, Price Analysis, Price Positioning, Business to Business (B2B), Business to Consumer (B2C), Market Segmentation, Demand Sizing & Segmentation, Three-statement Modeling, Regulatory Analysis, Regulatory Affairs, Regulated Industries, Econometrics, Economic Analysis, Weighted Average Cost of Capital (WACC), Creative Problem Solving, Financial Reporting, Quantitative Methods, Statistical Modeling, Analysis, Risk Analysis, Mobile Licence Tenders, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Python 3, Startups, Policy, High-tech Startups, Corporate Governance, Sensitivity Analysis, Scenario Analysis, Entry Strategy, Excel VBA, P&L Analysis, Cost Benchmarking, DCF Modeling, Discounted Cash Flow Analysis, Transaction Comparables, Residual Cash Flows, Projected Cash Flow, Advocacy, Financial Analysis, Total Addressable Market (TAM), Due Diligence, Due Diligence Consultant, M&A (Buy-side), Industry 4.0, Internet of Things (IoT), Mobile, M&A Modeling, Real Options Reasoning, Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT), Market Studies, Competitor Analysis & Profiling, Management Consulting, Management Consultant on Demand, Market Research, Pitch Decks, Revenue & Expense Projections, Business Plan Consulting, Market and Sector Analysis, Modeling, Series A, Valuation, Financial forecasting, Financial Statements, Operating Models, Financial Forecasting, Profit & Loss (P&L), Presentations, Board Presentations, Strategy consulting, Excel Expert, Enterprise SaaS, Investment Analysis, Excel 365, Valuation Modeling, Financial Advisory, Budgeting, Small & Medium-sized Enterprises (SME), Accounting, Software as a Service (SaaS), Financing, Middle East, Pitch Deck Consultant, Infrastructure, Python, Futures and options, Futures & Options, Financials, Spreadsheets, Monte Carlo Simulations, Private Equity, eCommerce